Monday, September 12, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal: Week Three in our School Year!

In my life this week…
This week we are having so many thunderstorms come through... I must confess something:  I love a good thunderstorm!  I don't know why, maybe because I feel so close to God ...seeing His awesome display!
Plus, I am trying to stay focused.. having a week like I explain in a minute can be difficult.. for me, it takes great effort to have an 'off schedule' week and still ACCOMPLISH enough!  I Love Lucy that airs at 9:00 am here really drags me to the couch for an hour full of laughter.. can I squeeze that in with out putting something important 'off'?

In our homeschool this week…
This week began with a holiday.  Monday was Labor Day.. the children had asked for the day 'off' school, and I complied.  There were so many projects that needed my attention, plus Daniel had homework he wanted to complete for his new Driver's Education class over at the public school... PLUS both older children had plans to visit with and be visited by.. friends.  And on top of all that, my poor husband developed a mean case of poison oak.. and he was off Monday. 

SO.. with Monday a holiday,
AND knowing that Daniel would be transitioning to a class at the school (the first day he was moaning about how he doesn't know how those kids at that school can STAND it sitting there ALL day long! and even said he needs a seat cushion for the hard uncomfortable chairs! and how exhausted he was from just three hours! how funny)..
AND having an unexpected, yet welcome, project in my lap... science study equipment that now needs to be organized in to a new home in my already crowded science cabinet......(a dear friend passed along some valuable.. not so much monetary value but 'we need this in biology and no we will not have to find it to buy' value! Yay!)
AND hearing that 'one day this week'.. which day we didn't know... our neighbor's son would be coming to give Amelia her inheritance from our dear friend... which translates to a lot of stuff brought into our home that needs to be organized into Amelia's new sewing room (AKA upstairs foyer)
WITH ALL THAT...we decided to make this entire week a 'no schedule' but 'no television' week. 

WHAT that means is: Math- everyday, Amelia and Daniel- Science- everyday, Continue Civics, Health, Typing, Art and Spanish (these have 'textbooks' to follow and we want to finish them!)
AND Alex and I will have time to 'row' the Five in a Row book- "Who Owns the Sun". (We were told that another family is waiting for it from the library, so we want to complete it and pass it along!)
PLUS! I can sneak some time in with Kaylee to 'row' her Before Five in a Row selection- "Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?" She LOVED it, by the way.
AS WELL AS.. getting my best friend's belated birthday package in the mail.. sewing some.. cleaning some.. and errand running while Daniel is in Driver's Ed...
(in hind sight.. cleaning received the LEAST of my effort this week.. sigh)

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
With my blog looky-looing this week I came across a great inspiration to share the history of 9-11 with my youngest son.  It never dawned on me (I am embarrassed to say) that he doesn't KNOW.  For the rest of us, it is a memory.. part of us.  I had a 'light bulb' moment when I remembered he was here.. just securely in my belly at the time!  This blogger gives great recommendations for picture books to share with your children... I found three at the library, plus two more that looked interesting from one of the authors.. check it out...

I am inspired by…
The out of doors.  Fall is my absolute favorite season.  Fall motivates me.  Fall rejuvenates me.  Fall makes me drag my children outside and say "Take a deep breath. Enjoy God's creation!" Fall makes me focus on the beauty in my home.  Fall makes me want to make fabric pumpkins with vintage fabrics.  Fall makes me want to drink hot tea in the cool of the morning on my front porch swing.  Fall makes me happy.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
This weekend, we have a great activity planned! 
First: seeing our first live performance of a Shakespeare play
(since I am not getting around to this until Monday.. I can say.. it was great! we really enjoyed it!  It had a definite Johnston County Redneck twist.. but it was still Shakespeare.  I hope we can find another opportunity this year to see a live performance of Shakespeare.. maybe at a college?

My favorite thing this week was…
Though emotional and upsetting... Remembering 9-11 with my family.  Sharing the memory together and taking time to reflect.. and realizing yet again that I am a helpless patriot!  I love America.  I am proud to be an American.  I am proud to have a son serving in the Armed Forces.  I am proud to have another son with hopes of joining in either the military or civil service when he becomes an adult.  It tears my heart to pieces.. but oh how proud I am!  I sincerely say, God Bless America land that I love.  Stand beside her, and guide her.
What’s working/not working for us…
Somehow, we fizzle out by Friday.  We are just in our third week.  Mondays are so difficult to get the ball rolling.  When we do get it rolling, it is top speed.  By Friday, we feel like Indiana Jones.. with the ball rolling after us.


Questions/thoughts I have…
I want to connect, really connect, with other homeschool families that whole heartily embrace the Charlotte Mason style of learning.  I want to meet other moms who love books as much as I do.  I feel like a fish lost at sea sometimes.  Not that I don't know who I am or what to do... but that the rest of my Charlotte Mason 'family' is floating around out there in the ocean together somewhere.. and I can't find them. In my local homeschool group...am I be the only real book nerd (besides my sister)? I ponder this.  I think I will post another call out to CM learners on our group's Yahoo page.  Baiting my hook?

Things I’m working on…
This blog!  Really wanting to build it so that it will serve a two-fold purpose:  connecting with family and encouraging other homeschool families.
AND, getting ready for next week... it will be a doosey!  A schedule week, PLUS our first living history event of the season next weekend! SEWING marathon, anyone?  Packing everyday? whew.  Not to mention planning meals for the weekend, cooked Civil War style.. over an open fire.

I’m reading…
Still reading Cranford.. taking it in small snatches when I need to decompress! 

I’m grateful for…
My husband.  Hands down, he is vital to our life, our school and my heart.

I’m praying for…
Wisdom.  Strength.  Understanding.  And maintaining a clear vision of where we are and where we are going.. not allowing the BIG PICTURE to be cluttered along the way.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Cooler weather... ahhhh!  I am looking forward to many hours reading to the children on the front porch again! It is cooling down here in the south just enough to make me want to drag our books and papers out of doors! 

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you sure do accomplish a lot on a "no schedule week." I love your big front porch and miss having one (hopefully in the next house). We're also loving the cooler weather.

Victoria said...

I so enjoyed using FIAR. Jesse Bear was one of our favorites, too!! I actually taught a FIAR class in our homeschool co-op last year and LOVED it (more importantly, so did the kids)!

Enjoy your beautiful porch and your family this week!

Mary said...

Seems you had a good week. I love your porch!!!!

Family W said...

Great post! How's Cranford?